Our Clek Foonf Review covers all the details on the ultra-modern and stylish Clek Foonf Convertible Car Seat. This seat can safely accomodate a child rear-facing all the way up to 50 pounds in weight. This makes it one of the few convertible carseats on the market that can seat a child rear facing all the way up to the age of 4.
The AAP (American Society of Pediatricians) recommends that the very safest option for your child is to sit rear facing for as long as possible as this greatly reduces the injuries suffered by children in the event of an accident. So, if you want your child to be seated in the much safer rear-facing orientation then this is definitely one of your best options.
The Foonf also employs several more advanced proprietary technologies such as the REACT Safety System, and advanced Crypton® fabrics that combine to make this convertible car seat one of the best in its class. The seat is a very expensive option but you are getting some of the best safety combined with advanced design features for the money. We recommend it.
Clek Foonf Specifications
Seat Type: Convertible Car Seat
Rear Facing Child Minimum Weight: 14 Pounds
Rear Facing Child Maximum Weight: 50 Pounds
Rear Facing Child Minimum Height: 25 Inches
Rear Facing Child Maximum Height: 43 Inches
Rear Facing Minimum Age: IMPORTANT Your child MUST be able to sit upright unaided
Forward Facing Child Minimum Age: 1 Year (but 2 years recommended by AAP)
Forward Facing Child Minimum Weight: 20 Pounds
Forward Facing Child Maximum Weight: 65 Pounds
Forward Facing Child Minimum Height: 30 Inches
Forward Facing Child Maximum Height: 49 Inches
Clek Foonf Features
- REACT Rapid Energy-Absorbing Crumple Technology
- Magnesium shell with steel rods feeding through to strengthen the headrest
- Anti-Rebound Bar
- Side Impact Protection built in
- Energy Absorbing foam cushioning used for increased side impact protection
- Slim (17” wide) seat design permits 3-across use even in some smaller cars
- Foonf uses a unique rigid LATCH system
- Seat is easy to recline and reclines 1 position when rear-facing and 2 positions when used front facing
- Crypton® Fabrics used on the seats that are moisture and stain resistant – also resistant to bacteria. Result is an easy to keep clean seat!
- Car seat expiry date is nine years after date of manufacture – so it can be used for longer than many other seats
- Fully recyclable via Clek’s own recycling program that can be accessed via the Clek website
- Exceeds all the relevant US federal car seat safety standards
- Certified as suitable for Airline Travel in both rear facing and front facing modes
- 1 year warranty
Clek Foonf Review – Our Detailed Assessment
Designed to fully meet the requirements of extended rear faced seating so that your child can be seated rear facing up to 50 pounds which equates to their 4th birthday. The ridgidity of the seat is increased due to the use of a steel and magnesium sub-structure. Side impact protection is provided by a headrest that features very deep padded wings. This headrest is made very rigid due to it being attached to the seat frame with steel rods. This combination offers the very best protection by keeping your childs head supported in the correct alignment during any side collision.
The anti-rebound bar fitted to the seat limits the rotation of the seat when used in rear-facing mode. This serves to increase the protection of your childs head from any impact during a collision.
The forward facing installation of the seat is very easy due to the rigid LATCH connectors used. The use of this type of fitting drastically reduces the incidence of poor fitting thereby increasing the effectiveness of the seat.
Rear facing installation is also relatively easy due to the easy-access belt path incorporated into the design of the Clek Foonf seat. The smaller footprint of this seat compared with many of its peers and the use of the sturdy anti-rebound bar also helps you achieve a good fit with the minimum of fuss.
Getting your child strapped in with the minimum of effort is also helped by the Foonf’s integrated magnets that serve to keep the harness straps well out of the way while seating your child.
It is possible for the seat to be reclined smoothly at several different angles improving your childs comfort giving them a more pleasurable journey.
The seat is available in several different colors and materials including Blue Moon, Drift and Shadow.
Paul Frank® Heart Shades
Paul Frank® Faux-Hawk Julius
Paul Frank® Julius Stripe
All of the seat materials except those used on the Drift model are upholstered with Crypton® Super Fabric which is GREENGUARD Select Certified meaning that they provide permanent protection from staining, moisture and the bacteria that cause unpleasant odors when spillages occur.
The Foonf has also been certified as suitable for airline travel when fitted in accordance with the instructions in the manual.
The seat also has a 9 year sell by date and Clek provide a 1 year limited warranty.
Foonf Model Numbers for Different Fabrics
Fabric Name Model Number
Blue Moon FO12U1-BLW
Paul Frank® Faux-Hawk Julius FO12U1-PFFHB
Paul Frank® Heart Shades FO12U1-PFHSB
Paul Frank® Julius Stripe FO12U1-PFJSW
What parents liked about the Clek Foonf Car Seat
• High rear facing weight limit
• Buckles and harness are very nice and easy/smooth to use and adjust
• Quite a bit of rear facing leg room Text
• Sleek and Sporty
• Sturdy, solid, easy to use, clean up is simple
• Feels so solid and gives me peace of mind
• Very easy to install this seat with LATCH
• Made in North America
• Clek Helpline is always answered promptly
What Parents Weren’t So Happy About
• Very heavy – but the seat is really intended to stay in the car so you wont have to lift it very often.
• Manual was sometimes difficult to navigate
• Quite a complicated assembly
• Magnets used to keep harness out the way while seating child were ineffective at times
What Comes with this Seat
• Foonf Convertible Car Seat
• Rear-Facing Wedge
• Anti-Rebound Bar, ARB
• Card for Warranty Registration