The Britax Advocate 70-G3 is a convertible seat that can be used rear-facing for a child weighing between 5 and 40 Pounds. When used forward-facing it can safely accommodate a child older than 1 year between 20 and 70 pounds.
(4.6 / 5)
This model has been replaced by the Britax Advocate G4.1
The Advocate 70-G3 is the new improved version of the Britax Advocate 70 CS. This newer model has had several changes made to it including the addition of HUGS Chest Pads using SafeCell Technology. These serve to keep your child in the correct position during a crash and also help manage the energy of the crash forces reaching your child.
It also features the EZ-Buckle System which acts to keep the harness buckle at the forward position. This makes it easier to get your child seated without sitting on the buckle.
This design incorporates several Britax proprietary technologies including SafeCells in the base which are designed to compress in a crash preventing forward rotation. Steel bars are also used in the construction to increase rigidity and prevent flexing during a crash.
The top of the seat is provided with a versa-tether anchor that features a staged released to slow forward motion of the seat in an accident further reducing crash forces. This top of the range model offers the very best protection for your child.
Side Impact Protection is taken care of by using Britax advanced Side Impact Cushion Technology. Thick side cushions are designed to compress upon impact absorbing up to 45% of the crash forces acting on the seat. The head restraint and the rest of the seat is fully lined with energy absorbing foam and serves to keep your child’s head and spine in line during an accident further reducing the potential for injury. The Harness Ultra Guard System – HUGS – also prevents your child being pitched forwards during a collision.
The seat is covered with high density comfort foam and can be reclined when used rear facing or front facing to ensure your child has a comfortable ride. The Click & Safe Indicator is used so that you get an audible click when the harness straps are set at the correct tension when seating your child.
Foam inserts are provided with the seat so that you can tailor the shape to fit your child’s shape better as they grow. An additional infant positioning insert can also be purchased separately if you should need one.
The manufacturer, Britax, gives a one year limited warranty on the Advocate.
The cover can be easily removed for hand washing with cold water and a mild detergent as per the manufacturer’s instructions. A range of different designs and colors are also available including, Anna, Onyx and Serene.
Model Numbers for Different Design Options
Opus Grey E9BG83X
Convertible Car Seat
Used Rear Facing
Child Weight: 5 to 40 Pounds
Shoulder Height When Seated: 9 – 16.75 Inches
Used Front Facing
Minimum Age: 1 Year
Child Weight: 20 to 70 Pounds
Shoulder Height When Seated: 12 – 16.75 Inches
Child Maximum Height: 49 Inches
- SafeCell technology used in the base prevents the unit pitching forward in an accident
- The shell is fitted with HUGS Chest Pads using SafeCell Technology. These keep your child positioned properly for maximum protection. The SafeCells compress during a crash managing energy and provide resistance to the forward movement of your child in a crash, reducing the risk of head injury
- Increased Side Impact Protection due to use of advanced Side Impact Cushion Technology incorporating generous layers of EPP foam
- Versa-Tether used to slow down forward movement of seat during crash reducing crash forces reaching your child
- Flexing drastically reduced during crashes due to steel bars used in construction
- Click & Safe Technology confirms with a click that the harness is tight enough
- Harness buckle is kept in forward position thanks to the EZ-Buckle System and stops child sitting on buckle while getting in and out.
- 5-point tangle-free harness
- LATCH connectors are provided to help with hassle-free installation
- Reclines in both rear facing and forward facing modes
- The cover can be easily removed for cleaning without uninstalling
- Comfortably exceeds US Federal Standards for car seat safety
- Suitable for Airline Travel
- Comes with a 1 year limited warranty
- Made in the USA
What parents liked about it..
- Click & Safe harness indicator
- Side wings help keep child’s head upright when sleeping preventing sore neck
- Easy to achieve a rock solid install
- Great Britax customer service
- Huge and stable
- Top safety ratings on test
- Fabric does not cause child to overheat
What parents didn’t like
- Very wide due to the extra side protection
The Britax Advocate was given a great review by most parents. Particular praise was given for the extra safety offered by model due to the large amount of cushioning and the attention to detail of the manufacturer in its solid construction. The Click & Safe system was also liked by many parents as a good guide to having the correct tension on the harness straps.
The large size of the Advocate widthways was criticised by some but this is due to the extra protection features built in that offer improved side impact protection. If you want a narrower Britax model then take a look at the Pavilion 70-G3, Boulevard 70-G3 or the Marathon 70-G3.
We couldn’t find any major faults with this car seat and it is highly thought of by the many parents who have purchased it. We therefore have no hesitation in recommending it especially if you are looking for the very best protection that money can buy.
If you are still undecided about which car seat to purchase then you might be interested in the reviews we have written on these other high specification models:
Our Britax Pavilion 70-G3 Review gives you the ratings on this popular seat. Your car might be too small to fit a very wide seat like the Advocate in which case the Pavilion could fit the bill as it is several inches narrower.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a seat that will fityour child from birth all the way up to 120 pounds then take a look at the ratings in our Diono RadianRXT Review.