The Britax Frontier 85 has been discontinued and replaced by a new model, the Frontier ClickTight. In view of this i have pointed any the links in this post to the new model of seat.
The Frontier 85 can be used as a harness-2-booster that is suitable for use as a forward facing car seat in harness mode from age 2 years and weight range 25 to 80 pounds, and then converts to a belt-positioning booster suitable for a child weighing up to 120 pounds.
It uses a combination of advanced safety features to offer best of class protection to your child in the event of an accident. The Versa-Tether® webbing straps anchor the Frontier securely to the car seat and absorb forces generated during the crash via a staged release that reduces the energy of the seat tipping forward.
The base absorbs the energy of the crash by deforming and the chair foam EPS liner also acts in this way. The generous side pad cushioning around the body and head area combined with the snug fit of the chair allow the Britax Frontier to offer true side crash impact protection.
The 5-point harness can be used in 10 different height positions up to 20”. The large range of harness height adjustment combined with 3 buckle positions ensures that there is ample adjustment range to securely fit your child through all stages of growth.
The Frontier is upholstered with soft, durable material and is cushioned with underlying Comfort Foam that makes for a cosy and secure ride, even during longer trips. It also comes supplied complete with armrests and built in cup holders to make your child’s journey as comfortable as possible.
This booster’s cover is easy to remove from the shell for cleaning and is available in several different designs including Congo, Desert Palm, Onyx, Zebra and Cactus Flower.
- Gives True Side Impact Protection which distributes crash forces, shields from vehicle intrusion, contains the head and body, and keeps the head, neck and spine “in true” or aligned, to limit injury in the event of a side collision
- The Highest Five-Point Harness Seat Capacity which allows your child to remain safely harnessed up to 85 lbs or in booster mode to 120 lbs
- Harness can be adjusted without disassembling the straps due to Quick-Adjust, No-Rethread Harness
- Tangle-Free, Five-Point Harness with 10 harness height positions (up to 20″) and three buckle positions for a snug and secure fit as your child grows
- Supplied with armrests for extra comfort
- Integrated cup holders provide space for drinks and small play items
- Supplied in several different designs of fabric to ensure that seat matches car upholstery
- The covers can be easily removed for cleaning
- The manufacturer, Britax USA, offers a 1 year limited warranty on this model
- It’s certified to be suitable for use during air travel when used in harness mode
Harness Booster Car Seat
With the Harness Attached
Child Weight: 25 to 85 Pounds
Child Height: 30 to 57 Inches
Shoulder Harness Height: 12 to 20 Inches
As a Booster Seat Without the Harness
Child Weight: 40 to 120 Pounds
Child Height: 42 to 65 Inches
What The Parents Liked..
- It’s heavy and big with lots of growing room and oozes quality but is still suitable for fitting in smaller cars
- It can be challenging to install, so watch the video on the manufacturers website first, as this can really help to resolve any issues that might arise
- The side impact wings prevent the child’s head flopping forward when sleeping meaning that they wake up in a better mood and the lower seat position gives the child more leg room
- Liked the ease of strap height adjustment
- There is more room in crotch belt adjustment than on seats supplied by other manufacturers
- The Britax Frontier is very durable and built to last for many years
- Loved the range of colours and designs that it is supplied in which makes it easier to get a good match with car upholstery
- The covers also come off easily for cleaning
- Many parents commented that Britax give great customer service even outside of the Warranty Period
- Children love the 2 cup holders and armrests and roominess of the Frontier
- Children find it very comfortable and settle and drift off to sleep easily in it
- Children actually like to get into this one themselves!!
What Some Parents Didn’t Like…
- The click is a little low between the child’s legs which can make the harness difficult to secure sometimes
There are a great number of satisfied parents that own this model and many have bought another one for their car when they had a second child. It’s well made, and sturdy, and performs well in accidents as documented in several different parents reviews.
The manufacturer has also been praised several times for the service offered even outside of the warranty period. The Frontier 85 Combination Booster is therefore highly recommended.
Another manufacturer that makes very good Harnessed Booster seats is Graco. If cost is an issue then Why not have a look at our Graco Nautilus Review, as the Nautilus is a very popular but somewhat cheaper model.