The Chicco KeyFit 22 is designed to fit infants in the weight range of 4 to 22 pounds and a maximum height of 30 inches. It can be used rear-facing only and can be installed using the LATCH system or by using the safety belts in your own car.
Overall Rating: (4 / 5)
This design incorporates bubble levels so that you can easily get the seat at the correct level during installation. It can be installed both with and without the base which can be very helpful if you need to move it from car to car and do not have a spare base handy.
As this model is lighter than some, it can really help save your back as your infant gets heavier when you are removing the cradle from the car. It’s also compatible with several different model of Chicco strollers including the S3, Cortina and Trevi.
Side impact protection is taken care of by using energy-absorbing foam in the construction of the seat.
A Newborn insert is also supplied that should only be used for an infant weighing between 4 and 11 pounds. The infant insert works together with the 5-point tangle free harness to keep your child positioned correctly in the seat to offer excellent protection from crash forces during a crash reducing the likelyhood of injury.
The seat has been certified as suitable for airline travel when you should use the airplane’s own safety belts to secure the seat. Always contact your airline before flying to confirm travel safety arrangements when flying with a small infant.
Chicco gives a one year limited warranty on this model.
The KeyFit 22 is available in Ombra and Encore. The cover and cushions can be removed for machine washing using cold water and a mild detergent. The straps and plastic parts are sponge clean only.
Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully when cleaning, as using the wrong cleaning methods can seriously degrade it’s performance.
Infant Car Seat
Child Height: 30 Inches Maximum
Child Weight: 4 to 22 Pounds
- Enhanced side-impact protection through the use of energy absorbing foam
- 5-point easy-opening tangle-free harness
- Removable newborn insert gives better fit to smaller babies
- Uses bubble level indicators for easy seat leveling
- Covers can be removed for machine washing
- Can be used either with or without the seat base
- Can be installed using your own vehicle safety belts or by using the LATCH system
- Meets or exceeds US Federal Standards for car seat safety
- Certified for use during airline travel
What Parents Liked about the KeyFit 22..
- Sturdy and well made
- Really easy to install
- Has internal storage for LATCH belts
- Harness is easy to adjust and tighten using a single strap
- Lots of padding
- Supplied with a removable infant insert
- Suitable for babies down to 4 lbs in weight
- Harness offers multiple adjustments so that even very small babies can be snugly secured
- Lighter to carry and slightly less expensive than the Britax B-Safe
- Strong base provides excellent and stable anchor for the infant carrier
- No need to buy any additional inserts or strap covers as these are all supplied at the time of purchase
What the Parents Didn’t Like..
- The KeyFit has a smaller than average sun-shade
Compatible Travel Systems from Chicco
This model can also be purchased as part of the Chicco KeyFit Travel System. The travel system comprises a KeyFit seat together with one Base and a Chicco Cortina Stroller. Extra bases can be purchased separately which can be a great help especially if you have to move your infant between 2 or more cars. Buying a complete travel system can give you peace of mind that your baby’s requirement for comfort and safety is fully taken care of while you are out and about.
The Cortina Stroller can be easily folded using one hand and the seat can be reclined in a multitude of positions depending upon your child’s requirements. Child cup holders and a large basket for storage of items is also provided. The stroller also features fully adjustable leg support, a canopy that can be reversed and suspension on all wheels.
The Chicco KeyFit Caddy Frame Stroller is also available as shown below.
The KeyFit 22 received a great many good reviews from impressed parents.
There are many good things to be said about this model, especially its really easy installation, and the super sturdy base that felt much stronger than some of its competitors. The keyFit was also judged by several parents to be lighter than other baby seats they had tried, meaning that it was less of a struggle when lifting it in and out of the car.
A measure of how good this seat is, is the fact that we could only find mention of 1 drawback – that the sun canopy is a little on the small side when compared to some other seats.
When you consider the benefits above, and add them to the fact that the covers clean up just great, wash after wash, then we think that the KeyFit 22 is a great buy and should definitely be on your short list.
Due to the above, we recommend this seat very highly.
You can see reviews by parents and Check the Price at Amazon Here
If you want more information about other infant car seats then might we suggest that you have a look at our article, the Graco SnugRide 22 Review, this gives you the ratings and parents opinions on this major competitor to the Chicco KeyFit 22.