The Evenflo Discovery 5 is an Infant Car Seat that can accommodate a child in the weight range of 5 to 22 Pounds and height 19 to 29 Inches. It can only be installed rear-facing.
The seating pad is cushioned using EPS energy absorbing foam, and is supplied with a 5-point safety harness fitted with 2-piece chest clip, so you can secure your child safely. Installation of the Discovery 5 can be carried out using the LATCH system or by using your own vehicle safety belts.
Unfortunately, the Discovery 5 has been discontinued. The Evenflo LiteMax 35 is a good alternative and so i have changed all the links on this article to point to the LiteMax 35.
The Discovery 5 restraint meets FAA Inversion requirements for airplane use. Airplane installation is the same as vehicle installation using the airplane seat’s safety belts. The manufacturer offers a 90 day limited warranty on this product.
The covers, cloth pads, and also the canopy, can be removed by following the manufacturer’s instructions and can then be machine washed in cold water with a mild detergent. Several attractively colored designs are available including Madeline, Marianna, and others.
Infant Car Seat
Child Weight: 5 to 22 Pounds
Child Height: 19 to 29 Inches
- 5-point safety harness
- 2 Piece chest clip
- EPS energy absorbing foam liner
- Removable and machine washable seating pad
- Uses the LATCH system for ease of installation
- Carrying handle uses CarryRight Z ergonomic shape for comfort
- Pivoting canopy
- Meets the Evenflo side impact test standard
- Complies or exceeds relevant US Federal Safety Standards
What Parents Liked..
- Lovely design and colors
- Low to mid-price model
- Good canopy
- Base installs easily
What the Parents Didn’t Like..
- It takes up a lot of room due to the Z-shaped handle
- It’s not very well padded compared to other makes
- Front seat unusable in smaller cars, as it has to be pushed as far forward as it will go in order to fit the Discovery 5 properly
- Straps had to be adjusted separately from the back
- Some parents found that the seat was difficult to fit to the base, in some cases getting jammed solid
The Discovery 5 had rather a mixed bag of reviews with some parents liking it a lot, while others just didn’t like it at all and really found it a poor purchase.
Summing up, the main reasons that it was liked was the nice looking designs. This, together with with the ease of installing the base, good canopy and low price, were the main features that were liked by parents.
The locking mechanism of seat to base however, was found stiff and difficult to use by several parents, and a few had reported that they could not get it to lock to the base, or once it was locked to it’s base, it then jammed and they were unable to free it. This is a serious problem and something that you need to think about if you are considering purchasing this model.
Due to the issue with the locking mechanism on this model, we are unable to recommend it. We suggest that you have a look at some of the other models that are listed below that are reviewed on this site.