The Maxi-Cosi Mico is an infant car seat produced by the Maxi-Cosi company who have been manufacturing high quality baby equipment for over 25 years. This model is suitable for an infant weighing between 5 and 22 pounds and is only designed to be used rear-facing.
Overall Rating: (4.3 / 5)
The Mico design uses energy absorbing foam to prevent crash forces reaching your child in the event of an accident. The unit is unusually deep when compared to most other models and this results in better all-round crash protection for your child.
The combination of the 5-point harness and the Side Impact Protection technology used in its design helps it to achieve very good safety ratings when on test. The Mico is supplied complete with the Cosi-dozi infant insert to ensure that your baby is positioned correctly in the seat for maximum safety during the journey.
Maxi-Cosi offers a one year limited warranty on the Mico. It’s available in a number of attractive designs and colors including, Leopard Pink, Sweet Cerise, Lapiz Blue, Intense Red and others. See table below.
The cover can be removed for washing with warm water and a mild detergent. The harness can be sponge cleaned with mild soap and cold water and the buckle can be wiped clean. Always follow the instructions on the manufacturer’s website for cleaning the components of the seat, as the use of some cleaning chemicals can seriously affect the strength and reliability of some materials used in its construction.
- Infant’s Weight: 5 to 22 Pounds
- Age of Child: Birth to 12 Months
- Child Length: 29 Inches Maximum
- Harness Type: 5-Point
- Side Impact Protection incorporated into the design
- Energy absorbing foam used to cushion child from impact
- Lightweight design
- Cosi-dozi infant insert supplied in the package
- The Mico Infant Car Seat cover can be removed for easy cleaning
- Latch connectors are supplied for easy installation
- Meets or exceeds the US Federal Standards for car seat safety
- Suitable for Airline Travel with FAA certified equipment
- One year manufacturer’s warranty
What Parents Liked about It..
- It’s very light – most of the weight of the unit seems to be in the base – which stays in the car..
- The handle shape is really comfortable for carrying
- Added depth of the seating unit means that baby is more comfortable during the ride
- Can be used as a rocker in the house to keep baby happy
- Easy to get into and out of the car
- Covers and straps wash up well even after multiple washes
- Great range of fabrics and designs
- High safety ratings
- Good level of padding
What the Parents Didn’t Like..
- A small number of parents said they had experienced difficulties getting the seat to lock onto the base
- The sunshade seems a bit small – manufacturer has now increased the size of the canopy so this should no longer be a problem.
The Mico is an exceptionally lightweight model that comes in a large range of very attractive colors and designs. It got many good reviews from the parents who had purchased it.
The other main plus point of the Mico is that the covers and straps clean up well.
Some parents said they sometimes had problems getting the seat to fit onto the base properly, but others stated that they had not had this problem. We went out and tried this ourselves and had no problems getting the unit to attach to it’s base.
In view of our findings we suggest that you it before purchasing if possible, and see how you get on with it, just to make sure. The sunshade also picked up some criticism for being on the small side, but the manufacturer has recently improved the size of the canopy so this issue should now be resolved.
We think the Mico is a good buy, especially for parents who need a more lightweight model. Its lighter than most of its competitors and there are no major drawbacks. It also achieved very good safety ratings when under test.